Friday 23 May 2014

I'm Fundraising!

So I mentioned this in a post about a month back but I decided I'd do a full post on who I'm fundraising for, why, and how.



As you may have already read, I am currently studying to be a midwife and a sad part of that job is supporting women and their families through the death of a newborn, a still born baby, or a miscarriage.  SANDS - the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society - put a lot of this support in behind the scenes of the front line for both long term or long ago bereavement, grandparent support, and training and supporting health professionals, as well as providing practical information on registering the death of a baby, arranging the funeral, and returning to work.

More than 6500 babies die in the UK every year either just before, during, or shortly after birth.  That's 17 every day.  One of the highest rates in the developed world.  Unfortunately for the parents, 60% of stillbirths are unexplained, so many parents have no reason for why their baby died.  This is why SANDS also funds critical research into why babies die - an area in which there is very little scientific research currently taking place.

Thats the who and the why, onto the how.




If you don't know anything about Tough Mudder you can watch the above video which has clips from last years race.  It's normally between 10 and 12 miles long and contains about 25 different obstacles that range from jumping over some rather deep ditches to jumping in an ice and water filled dumpster and getting electric shocks.  It's great fun honest!

I took part in Tough Mudder last year just for the fun of it but this time I wanted to raise money hence why I chose SANDS.  Just to add in an extra challenge, Tough Mudder have now introduced and extra section of the course for those of us who are fortunate enough to be taking part in our second or more event - the Legion Loop.  This will contain extra obstacles to really put us through our paces. One that we have been given a little insight into is called Fire in Your Hole...sounds delightful!

If you would like to donate to help me reach my fundraising target of £500 you can visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gillian-Lamb.

I would also be really grateful if you could share this with anyone who would be interested in donating to my fundraising or to even give their own separate donation to the charity.

You can read more about SANDS by visiting https://www.uk-sands.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they mean so much to me!

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign
);